Clostridioides (Clostridium) difficile Infection (Adult)
More risk with higher antibiotic doses, longer durations, and number of antibiotics used
Treatment, Select All That Apply:
Patients with severe disease may not have loose stools if they have toxic megacolon or ileus
- Loo VG, Davis I, Embil J, Evans GA, et al. Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Disease Canada treatment practice guidelines for Clostridium difficile infection. Journal of the Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Disease Canada. 2018; 3(2): 71-92.
- McDonald LC, Gerding DN, Johnson S, Bakken JS, et al. Clinical Practice Guidelines for Clostridium difficile Infection in Adults and Children: 2017 Update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) and Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA). Clin Infect Dis. 2018; 66(7):e1-e48.
- Van Hise NW, Bryant AM, Hennessey EK, Crannage AJ, et al. Efficacy of Oral Vancomycin in Preventing Recurrent Clostridium difficile Infection in Patients Treated With Systemic Antimicrobial Agents. Clin Infect Dis. 2016 Sep 1;63(5):651-3.
- Appaneal HJ, Caffrey AR, LaPlante KL. What is the role for metronidazole in the treatment of Clostridium difficile infection? Results from a national cohort study of Veterans with initial mild disease. Clin Infect Dis. 2018; Dec 18 [Epub ahead of print]
- Fabre V, Dzintars K, Avdic E, Cosgrove SE. Role of Metronidazole in Mild Clostridium difficile Infections. Clin Infect Dis. 2018;67(12):1956-1958.