Antimicrobial therapy is only recommended in:
If patient has been on antimicrobial therapy in the last 3 months (regardless of clinical success) the therapy chosen should be a regimen based on a different mechanism of action
At least 1 of the following:
1. Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management, and Prevention of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (2020 Report)
2. Vogelmeier, C. F. et al. (2017). Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management, and Prevention of Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease 2017 Report: GOLD Executive Summary. European Respiratory Journal, 49(3), 1700214.
3. Bourbeau, J. et al. (2019). Canadian Thoracic Society Clinical Practice Guideline on pharmacotherapy in patients with COPD – 2019 update of evidence. Canadian Journal of Respiratory, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine, 3(4), 210–232.
4. Siempos II, Dimopoulos G, Korbila IP et al. (2007). Macrolides, Quinolones and amoxicillin/clavulanate for chronic bronchitis: a meta-analysis. Eur Respir J, 29:1127 – 1137.
5. Wilson R, Anzueto A, Miravitlles M et al. (2012). Moxifloxacin versus amoxicillin/clavulanic acid in outpatient acute exacerbations of COPD: Maestral results. Eur Respir J, 40:17 – 27.
6. Wilson R, Sethi S, Anzueto A et al. (2013). Antibiotics for treatment and preventions of exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Journal of Infection, 67, 497 – 515.
7. Sethi S, Murphy TF. Management of infection in exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. UpToDate. Accessed February 2021.
8. Anti-infective Review Panel. (2013). Anti-Infective Guidelines for Community-Acquired Infections. Toronto: MUMS Guideline Clearinghouse.
9. Blondel-Hill E, Fryters S. (2021). Acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis (AECB). Bugs & Drugs. Accessed February 2021. https://www.bugsanddrugs.org/B7018F68-24F4-4E6E-A842-189948D8A4F6.
10. NB Provincial Health Authorities Anti-Infective Stewardship Committee. (2019). Antimicrobial Therapy for Acute Exacerbation of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Accessed February 2021.
11. Auwaerter PG. (2020). Exacerbations of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. Accessed February 2021.