C. difficile Infection (CDI)
- A second or subsequent recurrence following treatment with oral vancomycin; or
- Treatment failure with oral vancomycin for the current CDI episode; or
- An intolerance or contraindication to oral vancomycin.
- Re-treatment with fidaxomicin will only be considered for a relapse occurring within 8 weeks of the
completion of the most recent fidaxomicin course. CDI occurring beyond 8 weeks after the completion of
the most recent fidaxomicin course will require a trial with vancomycin, unless there is a documented
allergy, severe adverse reaction or intolerance to prior oral vancomycin use.
Criteria for use: Vancomycin treatment failure defined as 14 days of vancomycin therapy without
acceptable clinical improvement and without other identified cause of persistent darrhea
- Do not use for systemic infections (absorption is negligible)