Risk Factors for Infection
Advanced liver disease
- Wounds needing primary closure or surgical repair
- Cat bites
- Bite location:
- Near hardware, bone/joint or tendon
- Near pre-existing edema
- Clenched fist human bite injury
- Stevens DL, IDSA. Practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of skin and soft tissue infections. Clin Infect Dis. 2014 Jul 15;59(2):e10-52. Erratum in: Clin Infect Dis. 2015 May 1;60(9):1448.
- Medeiros I, Saconato H. Antibiotic prophylaxis for mammalian bites. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2001;(2):CD001738.
- Aziz H, et al. The current concepts in management of animal (dog, cat, snake, scorpion) and human bite wounds. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2015 Mar;78(3):641-8.
- Baddour LM. Animal bites (dogs, cats, and other animals): Evaluation and management. In: UpToDate, Wolfson AB (Ed), UpToDate, Waltham, MA. (Accessed on Apr 22, 2021.)
- Skin and Soft Tissue Infections: Treatment Guidelines. University of Nebraska. Revised 5/2018
- Skin and Soft Tissue infections. University of Michigan Treatment Guideline. Revised 4/2018