Abscess, Boil, Carbuncle & Insect Bite
I&D with cultures and susceptibility (C&S) should be performed for all patients with drainable fluid collections
Last Updated: 6.1.21
- Stevens DL, et al. IDSA Practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of skin and soft tissue infections. Clin Infect Dis. 2014 Jul 15;59(2):e10-52. Erratum in: Clin Infect Dis. 2015 May 1;60(9):1448.
- Schmitz G, et al. Randomized Controlled Trial of Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole for Uncomplicated Skin Abscesses in Patients at Risk for Community-Associated Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Infection. Ann Emerg Med. 2010;56:283-287
- Liu C, et al. Clinical Practice Guidelines by the IDSA for the Treatment of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus Infections in Adults and Children. Clin Infect Dis 2011:52;1-38.
- Vermandere M, et al. Antibiotics after incision and drainage for uncomplicated skin abscesses: a clinical practice guideline. BMJ. 2018 Feb 6;360:k243.
- Cox KK et al. Clinical outcomes in patients hospitalized with cellulitis treated with oral clindamycin and trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole: The role of weight-based dosing. J Infect. 2017 Dec;75(6):486-492.
- Talan DA, et al. Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole versus Placebo for Uncomplicated Skin Abscess. N Engl J Med. 2016 Mar 3;374(9):823-32.
- Skin and Soft Tissue Infections: Treatment Guidelines. University of Nebraska. Revised 5/2018
- Skin and Soft Tissue infections. University of Michigan Treatment Guideline. Revised 4/2018
- Ramakrishnan K, et al. Skin and Soft Tissue Infections. Am Fam Physician. 2015 Sep 15;92(6):474-83.
- Spelman D. Cellulitis and skin abscess in adults: Treatment. In: UpToDate, Lowy F (Ed), UpToDate, Waltham, MA. (Accessed on Apr 22, 2021.)